Overview / Responsibilities
Wood is seeking a Mid-Level Traffic Engineer with 8+ years of relevant experience to become an integral member of our Texas Transportation Team. Ideal candidates will demonstrate expertise and strong relationships with TXDOT and Texas municipal clients in the fields of traffic engineering and transportation planning.
This position requires a candidate with effective time-management, written communication, planning, organization and interpersonal skills. The ideal candidate has the ability to take initiative, work independently and coordinate efforts with multi-discipline teams. The candidate must possess outstanding leadership skills and have the ability to perform business development duties. The Mid-Level Traffic Engineer shall be a licensed Professional Engineer (PE) in Texas and ideally also be certified as a Professional Traffic Operations Engineer (PTOE).
Ideally, the position would be based out of one of our Texas Offices (Austin, Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, El Paso), with the possibility to work remotely within Texas.
Key Technical Responsibilities:
- Support the delivery of traffic engineering and transportation planning tasks for TxDOT and municipal clients in the State of Texas
- Provide support to other offices in North America
- Manage traffic operations studies with guidance from Senior staff
- Participate in transportation safety studies in support of municipal vision zero activities
- Delivery of high-quality program/project deliverables
- Mentor other junior technical and planning staff
- Participate in active transportation and complete streets analyses
- Organize data collection and analyses activities for the team and ensure they are conducted in safety
- Deliver technical projects of varying complexities on time and on budget
- Collaboratively coordinate with internal technical discipline leads, technical staff and sub-consultants for the timely execution of technical studies and preparation of documentation required to support the above noted services
- Participate in stakeholder engagement for public projects
- Coordinate and participate in consultation events including meetings, public information centers, workshops, presentations, and project site tours
- Proposal preparation, business development activities, client communications, and
- Other duties as assigned
Skills / Qualifications
- Bachelor's Degree in Civil Engineering (Masters preferred)
- Texas PE Required; PTOE highly desired
- Additional certifications (i.e. PTP, RSP, AICP) are an asset
- TxDOT pre-certifications in Traffic Engineering and Operations Studies (Work Categories 7.1.1-7.5.1) and Traffic Operations Design (Work Categories 8.1.1-8.6.1) or ability to obtain within 6 months required
- Minimum 8 years of experience working on transportation projects, including previous experience on TxDOT and municipal transportation projects
- Demonstrated success in the delivery of transportation projects and programs
- Successful track record of being a "Seller- Doer"
- Motivated to develop business from new and existing clients
- Self-starter with strong oral and written communications skills
- Ability to collaboratively work with clients, colleagues, and multi-disciplinary teams
- Strong understanding of technical details and areas of risk, while prompting a collaborative problem-solving approach.
- Ability to recognize and provide meaningful input to solve complex problems
- Sound understanding of design and construction applications as they pertain to planning traffic, and highway design
- Sound time management, coordination, project management, and organizational skills
- Availability to work outside normal business hours as required
- Ability to travel frequently, generally within the state of Texas
- Working knowledge of traffic operations tools such as Synchro, HCS, Vissim, SIDRA, Emme, and Aimsun
- Proficient with MS Office Suite including Excel, Word, Project, PowerPoint
- Proficiency with MS Power BI would be an asset
- Proficiency with ArcGIS would be an asset
- Must pass drug test, physical, background check and must have a satisfactory driving record in accordance with the company's driving (MVR) policy
- Flexibility to travel to project sites for extended periods and work outside of normal business hours (20% travel expected)
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people.
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.