Senior Instrumentation and Controls Engineer (Contract) Description This contractor position will be located remotely out of Ontario with business trips to the engineering office in Toronto, Canada and the jobsite called Miami, in Arizona
Provide technical advice and guidance for all phases of assigned large/complex instrumentation and controls (I&C) engineering projects and programs, ensuring the successful conclusion of all phases within an appropriate time and at appropriate cost.
- Apply working knowledge of instrumentation and controls engineering principles to assigned engineering projects, using sound engineering, data measurement & collection, calculations, analysis, interpretation and problem solving.
- Review, interpret, comment and approve instrumentation and controls engineering deliverables. Review reports for instrumentation and controls design projects and provide recommendations to site team and to project consultants.
- Lead the instrumentation and controls efforts on large/complex engineering projects, which may include the development of new or modification to existing systems and processes, including the responsibility of approving work from other engineering disciplines.
- Serves as an instrumentation and controls subject matter expert (SME) on large/complex projects.
- Manages large/complex site construction, expansion or modification Engineering projects
- Oversight of the instrumentation and controls department of an engineering company, construction planning and construction supervision.
- Provide guidance and counsel to the site management team on applicable processes, practices, and existing/proposed local, state and federal regulations
- Contribute to site strategic planning and budgeting efforts for designated engineering areas
- Develop and/or review scopes of work, evaluate proposals, draft formalized internal requests for funding.
- May evaluate and administer contracts with vendors for the provision of services and equipment as approved and required.
- Evaluates and administers contracts with vendors for the provision of services and equipment.
Nature of work: Works on complex issues and implements solutions mostly through the determination of strategy and delegation to others in a group or functional area.
Level of interaction: Often collaborates with managers and/or functional or site leaders and interacts with external colleagues.
Autonomy/decision making: Works under moderate supervision and has some latitude to set objectives, priorities and timelines that may impact department or individual work group
Budgetary responsibility: Has no budgetary responsibility
Managerial responsibility: Manages a specific program or project and may supervise people. Qualifications
Language Skills, Certifications and/or Training
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical/Electronics Engineering or related engineering discipline from an accredited curriculum and seven (7) years related experience in in Instrumentation and Controls engineering or a related field, OR
- Master's Degree in Electrical/Electronics Engineering or related engineering discipline from an accredited curriculum and five (5) years of experience in engineering or related scientific field.
- Proficient in MS Office and other engineering tools (CAD, ETAP, SKM etc.)
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Fluency in English required.
- Advanced knowledge of the principles and practices of instrumentation and controls engineering
- Familiarity with all the latest developments in the design and application of control system, instrumentation, system hardware and architecture design
- Experience leading and or participating in hazard studies, SIL studies and any other safety studies
- Ability to research and analyze information of considerable difficulty and draw valid conclusions
- Skilled in managing large/complex discipline related tasks on Engineering projects.
- Skill in effective communication, both verbal and written, including the ability to actively listen and to adapt behavior and communication style based upon the audience
- Ability to develop and maintain awareness of occupational hazards and safety precautions
- Skill in following safety practices, and recognizing, controlling and/or eliminating hazards
- Ability to build trust and credibility with employees/peers and establish common goals and expectations
- Strong analytical skills
- Both design and field engineering experience
- Proficiency in design tools for the relevant discipline(s)
- Advanced degree or Professional Engineering (PE) certification
Petroplan is the trusted, specialist global Talent Solutions partner of choice for employers and professionals in the Energy sector. Since 1976, Petroplan has been here to help people like you make the most of the opportunities available and find the best fit for you as an individual.
Over 10,000 placements in more than 55 countries for over 550 clients across 65 disciplines.
In an industry where skilled and experienced professionals are increasingly sought after resource, we appreciate the true value of what you have to offer. What's more, we understand that different things are important to different people in today's world of work - it's about making exactly the right connections for you as an individual.
Our reputation for contractor and candidate care, understanding what makes you tick, and finding you the best match is second-to-none. We understand the industry inside-out and seek to understand YOU and your motivations in the same way. We take the time to evaluate your individual strengths, understand the most important things to you, and establish exactly what you're looking for from your next role.