Manager: VP of Genome Engineering
Department: Genome Engineering
Location: Richmond, California, with options for remote (US West Coast preferred).
Sangamo Therapeutics is a genomic medicine company building value with cutting-edge work across four distinct but complementary technology platforms - gene therapy, cell therapy, in vivo genome editing, and in vivo genome regulation. Using its deep scientific expertise and proprietary zinc finger genome engineering technology, Sangamo is working to create genomic cures for patients suffering from severe genetic diseases for which today's medicines can only treat symptoms. At Sangamo, we are passionate about transforming lives by building a robust, sustainable, differentiated, innovative, and high value genomic medicine pipeline that addresses patients with life-limiting conditions. Sangamo takes pride in being the first to edit endogenous human genes, first to treat patients with gene edited T cells, and first to treat patients with in vivo genome editing. Our top priority is to meet the needs of patients with commitment and compassion. Along with our commitment to science and to our patients, we also endeavor to create an inclusive environment that promotes and values diversity. Sangamo is a company where individuals can flourish, grow and develop their expertise.
We are seeking top talent to join our mission. Let's build a better future together.
Sangamo Therapeutics is seeking an experienced and innovative Senior Director to lead our Bioinformatics team. The successful candidate will lead a group of 6+ bioinformatics experts to support pre-clinical and clinical teams in the application of genome engineering technologies for the treatment of human diseases. We are looking for a bold problem solver who can help us achieve significant leaps in capabilities for both computational biology and required IT infrastructure. The position requires adaptability, creativity, and a capacity for constant innovation in pursuit of company goals. The environment is exciting and fast-paced and offers the opportunity to work and publish at the cutting edge of genome engineering research.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS REQUIREMENTS:
- Supervision of a core bioinformatics team (6+ and growing) that exists within a corporate research environment.
- Collaboration with IT partners and NGS Core staff to support company-wide bioinformatics needs.
- Support and lead bioinformatics staff who design, build, and operate data pipelines to perform scientific analyses.
- Maintaining a group culture that implements best practices for code annotation and review.
- Working with IT partners to support R&D staff with evolving needs for data storage and security.
- Ph.D. in bioinformatics, computational biology, or affiliated field, preferably with 10+ years of industrial experience.
- Strong track record of mentoring bioinformatics / scientific staff and proactively supporting their career development.
- Proficiency in Python and familiarity with R required.
- Knowledge of established and emerging technologies for next generation DNA sequencing (Illumina, PacBio, etc.)
- Experience deploying cloud computing and establishing / negotiating cost structures with providers that are sustainable for organizational needs.
- Knowledge and experience with best practices for traceability and reproducibility of computational analyses.
- Hands on lab experience with molecular biology a plus.
- An ability to work in a team-oriented, multidisciplinary environment.
Sangamo is an equal opportunity employer
- Experience with molecular design for genome engineering (zinc fingers, TALs, CRISPR, miRNA, shRNA,etc.)
- Experience applying machine learning to biological datasets.
Sangamo is committed to fostering belonging for all employees and embraces diversity, equity, and inclusion in recruiting and hiring. All qualified applicants for employment are encouraged to apply and will be considered without regard to an individual's race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws Commitment to Safety
Sangamo requires all U.S. workers to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as of their start date. This requirement is a condition of employment at Sangamo, and it applies regardless of location or classification of role. If you are unable to receive the vaccine & booster, you will have an opportunity to request a reasonable accommodation consistent with applicable laws. Note to External Recruiters:
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than from the candidates themselves.