NCBI, the National Center for Biotechnology Information, the nation's premier biomedical resource, is seeking a senior software developer to help architect and deliver cloud-based bioinformatics pipelines for the nation's foremost sequence and biomedical literature repositories. Sites at NCBI, a part of the National Library of Medicine (NLM) at the National Institutes of Health (NIH), see six million daily users searching for gene sequence data, biomedical journal citations, and a wide array of other information that directly impacts biomedical research and public health. NCBI's annotation pipelines not only serve these diverse expert communities - they actually drive new life sciences discoveries, ranging from medical health (viruses and pandemics, genetic diseases, cancer) to public health (food safety monitoring, antimicrobial resistance, viral outbreaks), to basic research topics in bioinformatics and microbial diversity, and many more.
At NCBI you can help cure cancer and other diseases, protect the public from food-borne pathogens, and contribute to the nation's richest trove of biomedical data. On a technical level, NCBI's wide range of applications, platforms (e.g. node, python, Django, C++), and applications and environments (petabyte-level big data, machine learning, multiple cloud providers) serve more users than the US Postal Service and see more traffic than the IRS at tax time. We embrace FAIR principles (Findable, Accessible, Interoperable, Reusable) and are on the cutting edge of civic tech and cloud computing.
This role calls for more than an expert coder and architect - someone who can work equally effectively with user researchers, designers, product managers, scientists, security and DevOps engineers, and more. Work with teams of dedicated, skilled developers, researchers, and product professionals as you build robust, flexible cloud-based pipelines serving dozens of production applications and thousands of APIs and services. Join us!
Duties & Responsibilities
- Responsible for the development, implementation, testing, and continued maintenance of NCBI bioinformatics pipelines
- Work with a diverse group of scientists, bioinformaticians and other developers across the center to implement efficient bioinformatics algorithms
- Facilitate development of cloud-ready tools and pipelines to support sustainable scalability and enable use by collaborators and scientists in thefield
- Learn new technologies, keep up with internal systems, and share your knowledge with the team
- Lead other developers
- 3+ years of experience handling large amounts of data or working in a distributed computing environment
- Programming experience in a Linux environment
- Experience with Cloud technologies a strong plus:
- Proficiency in at least one modern programming language, such as: Java, C, C++, Golang
- Fluency in some scripting languages such as BASH, csh, Perl, or Python
- Ability to work with common structured documents (at least one of XML, JSON)
- Experience with open source projects
- Experience with CI/CD pipelines, unit testing, integration and regression testing
- 5+ years of working with genetic and biological data
- Experience with MS SQL server, including XML typed data storage and manipulation
- Familiarity with NGS computational tools and formats (BWA, GATK, Galaxy, etc.)
- Demonstrated active involvement into open source communities (GitHub, etc.)
- Experience managing production workflow of an online public database
- Experience with RESTful API design
Dovel Technologies and its Family of Companies (Medical Science & Computing and Ace Info Solutions) was acquired in October 2021.
Guidehouse is a leading global provider of consulting services to the public sector and commercial markets, with broad capabilities in management, technology, and risk consulting. By combining our public and private sector expertise, we help clients address their most complex challenges and navigate significant regulatory pressures focusing on transformational change, business resiliency, and technology-driven innovation. Across a range of advisory, consulting, outsourcing, and digital services, we create scalable, innovative solutions that help our clients outwit complexity and position them for future growth and success. The company has more than 12,000 professionals in over 50 locations globally. Guidehouse is a Veritas Capital portfolio company, led by seasoned professionals with proven and diverse expertise in traditional and emerging technologies, markets, and agenda-setting issues driving national and global economies.
Guidehouse is an Equal Employment Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, military status, protected veteran status, religion, creed, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, age, genetic information, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.
Guidehouse will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable law or ordinance, including the Fair Chance Ordinance of Los Angeles and San Francisco.
If you have visited our website for information about employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require accommodation, please contact Guidehouse Recruiting at 1- or via email at . All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodation.
Guidehouse does not accept unsolicited resumes through or from search firms or staffing agencies. All unsolicited resumes will be considered the property of Guidehouse, and Guidehouse will not be obligated to pay a placement fee.