The AbbVie Cambridge Research Center, is investigating the fundamental biological mechanisms underpinning neurodegenerative diseases with particular attention to Alzheimer's disease (AD) and Parkinson's disease (PD). Impaired protein homeostasis (proteostasis) is a key feature of these diseases. Our discovery research team aims to understand how these proteostasis pathways may be therapeutically modulated to improve clinical outcomes in these diseases.
We are seeking a highly motivated cell/molecular biologist, preferably with pharma/biotech experience, to join the Proteostasis group at the FNC. This individual will make substantial contributions to the team's early drug discovery efforts to identify and validate novel drug targets. The candidate should have extensive laboratory research experience and a desire to continue in a laboratory-focused role. Strong communication and teamwork skills are essential as this individual is expected to operate in a fast-pace multi-disciplinary environment. This individual should enjoy working with novel technologies and thrive in a small biotech atmosphere with the resources of a large pharmaceutical company. Additional responsibilities include assay development and validation, as well as characterization of model systems to study proteostasis biology and its contribution to neurodegenerative diseases.
- Maintain a high level of productivity in the laboratory, and contribute technical and scientific expertise to proteostasis project teams
- Identify and validate new therapeutic targets for neurodegenerative diseases
- Independently design, execute, and interpret critical experiments to answer scientific questions
- Generate robust and complete data sets to support key Go/NoGo decisions on novel drug targets
- Develop expertise with novel technologies and laboratory techniques
- Lead and/or assist in writing and revising SOPs
- Work diligently and efficiently to meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Read and apply relevant scientific literature
- Adhere to safety and compliance
- Participate and present at internal meetings
- Publish research in peer-reviewed journals and present work at scientific forums
- PhD or MS or BA in Molecular Biology, Cell Biology, Neuroscience or related field with 5-10+ years (BA), 2-8+ years (MS), or 0-4 years (PhD) of pharmaceutical/biotech industry/academia experience
- Proficiency with microscopy, cell culture, transfection, viral transduction, and common biochemical techniques (ELISA, Western blot, etc.)
- Experience with primary/iPSC neurons or high-content imaging and analysis is preferred
- Strong background and expertise in in neurodegenerative diseases, protein engineering, or protein degradation pathways is preferred
- Strong scientific writing skills, excellent verbal communication skills, and ability to work well in a collaborative team-oriented environment
- Demonstrated ability to learn, understand and master new experimental techniques
- Strong organizational skills that enable multitasking and working within timelines
Position will be hired based on level of experience.