Have you ever enjoyed Arnold®, Brownberry® or Oroweat® bread? A Thomas'® English muffin or bagel? Or perhaps snacked on a Sara Lee®, Entenmann's® or Marinela® cake or donut? If the answer is yes, then you know Bimbo Bakeries USA!
The Research and Development Technologist conducts Research and product development activities throughout BBU for all BBU manufactured products and all co-manufactured, co-developed products. Brings key skills and knowledge in new product ideas/concepts and troubleshooting. Able to initiate product and /or processing concepts from idea to final production start-up. Spearhead new technology development and its application into all baked good areas. Develop and implement productivity project.
- Design and execute experimentation using established procedures, interpret results and translate results into possible solutions.
- Contribute to key product improvement, cost reductions, new products, development, knowledge building or other technically based, business driven objective.
- Describe/demonstrate research results or experimental protocols to colleagues in a professional manner.
- Carry out those programs so laid out by designated supervisors under authority of the Director of Product Development, within the parameters of time and cost, etc.
- To work both in a "hands-on" environment and /or direct as needed, ideas and concepts into product reality.
- Utilizes practical and technical abilities both of his/her own and/or other team members, make changes, and is adaptive as required.
- Utilizing services available - laboratory, accounting, packaging, technical services, marketing, engineering, etc. - ensure that product(s) are followed through to channels for final approval for sale.
- To advise and guide, as requested, other R&D team members and other departments throughout BBU, on scientific/technical matters as necessary.
- To prepare specifications and process operating guides for product developments and ensure flow of documentation is communicated to those who have a need to know.
- To write reports/memos from time to time on status of developments
- Interface with operations personnel in all facilities to implement product development objective effectively and efficiently to completion.
- Deal effectively and professionally with outside ingredient supplier to meet R&D objectives (keeping Purchasing informed).
- To ensure, always, communication with all R&D members of product development team throughout BBU and any other groups that may be added in the future.
- To maintain a daily log outlining project status and activities in such detail that others may continue the test.
- To lead in special projects concerning products, processes, equipment, and facility concepts and design.
- Where approved to travel to all BBU technical facilities and co-packers to accomplish R&D objectives and interface professionally independently and effectively with representatives of the same.
Bimbo Bakeries USA is part of Grupo Bimbo, the world's largest baking company with operations in 32 countries. Bimbo Bakeries USA ("BBUSA") includes BBUSA and its subsidiaries and affiliated entities, including, but not limited to, Wholesome Harvest Baking, East Balt, and Acelerada. BBUSA employs 20,000 associates across the U.S. in bakeries, sales centers, corporate offices and on sales routes to ensure our consumers have the freshest products to feed their families at every meal. But our associates come to work for much more - the chance to feed their own lives through exciting work that offers the opportunity to make a real difference in their professional and personal lives every day.Job Requirements:
- Strong commitment to and support of BBU's values, ethics, goals, and objectives.
- B.S. degree in Food Sciences, Cereal Science, or in Chemical, or Food/Agricultural/Biological Sciences.
- 2 years' experience within the baking field.
- Intermediate level of Baking Skills/Ingredient Knowledge for all types of products within the category. (Example: Breakfast (English Muffins, Swirl Breads, Bagels, Thins, Boboli)
- With some direction from their leader, independently formulates and conducts lab trials and provides reports to Manager/Director.
- Conducts research independently on projects as assigned.
- Responsible for creating and approving Finished Product Specifications.
- Shows initiative to Create and Develop and bring new ideas (products/ingredients) to help grow the business. Proven excellent work record with demonstrated high levels of initiative and self-direction.
- Demonstrated strong problem-solving and critical-thinking skills.
- Excellent organizational and communication (written and oral) skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent project management skills with ability to prioritize multiple activities simultaneously
- Computer skills and proficiency with word processing, spreadsheet, database, and other software/applications.
- Willing to travel as required.
Desirable qualifications for position:
- Prefer 2 plus years of Bakery/R&D/Quality technical knowledge in Manufacturing/Operations.
- M.S. in Food Science or related field or significant experience and training beyond B.S. degree in the science of baking and a strong mechanical aptitude. Equivalent work experience in the bakery industry and specific experience within an R&D/Quality environment, developing or troubleshooting products may be considered.
- Completion of the AIB Residence course preferred.
- Knowledge of Statistical Process Control, statistical design of experiments, and data collection and analysis.
The physical and mental demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an associate to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be requested to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Bimbo Bakeries USA is an equal opportunity employer with a policy that provides equal employment opportunity for applicants and employees regardless of race, color, religion, disability, gender, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, or any other classification protected by law. This policy applies to all aspects of employment, including recruitment, hiring, promotion, compensation, reassignment, layoff, discharge, education, training and all other working conditions. To further the principle of equal employment opportunity, Bimbo Bakeries USA has developed affirmative action plans for minorities and women, qualified individuals with disabilities, and Vietnam-era and special disabled veterans and other protected veterans.