Patient Companion - Per DiemLocation:
Scranton, PennsylvaniaJob Category:
Nursing Support Services, Nursing and Nursing SupportSchedule:
Per DiemWork Type:
JM-Northeast Region Nursing Float Pool DivisionDate Posted:
Job Summary Provides a safe environment, companionship and supportive care for patients that require constant observation as identified by a nurse or physician. Maintains a safe environment for any patient requiring 1:1 supervision. Maintains constant observation of patient. Responsible to accompany the patient if he or she must leave the unit for reasons identified by the care provider.
- Maintain a safe, private, and comfortable therapeutic environment.
- Redirects impulsive and harmful behavior.
- Remain in clear sight of patient at all times, unless otherwise instructed by the nursing staff.
- Calls for assistance when unable to redirect patient or there is a potential for self-injury.
- Participate in report at the beginning and end of shift, making sure to inform pertinent information to Registered Nurse at the end of the shift.
- Accompany patient to all clinical tests, procedures, or appointments off the patient unit.
- Talks to the patient and use conversation to keep them focused.
- Assist patients with meals, when patient does not have swallowing precautions, or require carbohydrate counts.
- Assist with bed making.
- Activates bed alarms and and or chair alarms.
- Assists staff with walking patients.
Work is typically performed in a clinical environment. Accountable for satisfying all job specific obligations and complying with all organization policies and procedures. The specific statements in this profile are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements considered necessary to successfully perform the job. Additional competencies and skills outlined in any department-specific orientation will be considered essential to the performance of the job related to that position.
Per diem position
Prior patient care experience preferred
Will float to various Nursing Units
Opportunity to influence a patient's hospital experience
Education High School Diploma or Equivalent (GED)- (Required)
Our Purpose & Values OUR PURPOSE & VALUES: Everything we do is about caring for our patients, our members, our students, our Geisinger family and our communities. KINDNESS: We strive to treat everyone as we would hope to be treated ourselves. EXCELLENCE: We treasure colleagues who humbly strive for excellence. LEARNING: We share our knowledge with the best and brightest to better prepare the caregivers for tomorrow. INNOVATION: We constantly seek new and better ways to care for our patients, our members, our community, and the nation. SAFETY: We provide a safe environment for our patients and members and the Geisinger family We offer healthcare benefits for full time and part time positions from day one, including vision, dental and domestic partners.* Perhaps just as important, from senior management on down, we encourage an atmosphere of collaboration, cooperation and collegiality. We are an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer Women and Minorities are Encouraged to Apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability or their protected veteran status.