Patient Care Unit Assistant SEIULocation:
Lewistown, PennsylvaniaJob Category:
Nursing Support Services, Nursing and Nursing SupportSchedule:
Nights Work Type:
GLH Orthopaedic Oncology/Medical Surgery Nursing DepartmentDate Posted:
Job Summary Responsible and accountable for performing a wide range of clerical duties and direct patient care activities, depending on the need of the unit. The performance of these tasks in an efficient and timely manner is essential to enhance the care team's ability to provide quality care. Meets the qualifications to provide care for patients in the specific age range in their assigned clinical area.
- Provides patient care as directed by the licensed nurse, within the nursing assistant scope of practice, in meeting the multidisciplinary care plan established for each patient.
- Identifies, observes and documents the physical needs of the patient according to established standards.
- Reports changes in patient condition to licensed personnel in a timely manner.
- Obtains and maintains the integrity of specimens in accordance with policy and procedure, according to physician order.
- Provides for or assists patients with activities of daily living and fulfills designated and delegated responsibilities for ongoing continuum of care.
- Provides one to one patient safety watch as assigned following established policies and procedures.
- Assists in problem solving, trouble shooting and taking corrective measures in care and maintenance of equipment and supplies.
- Responsible for actively participating in patient safety improvement and management program.
- Serves as a preceptor and mentor for new staff and students in a positive manner.
- Performs clerical duties for admissions, transfers, discharges, and deaths according to standards and facilitates patient throughput activities.
- Transcribes and processes orders according to unit standards.
- Releases and confirms ordered tests to appropriate departments.
- Coordinates transportation of patients to multiple tests.
- Communicates patient related information promptly to the appropriate care team member.
- Assists in ordering supplies.
- Communicates with food services to ensure appropriate patient diets.
- Operates, problem solves, and takes corrective measures for clerical equipment.
- Includes scheduling maintenance of computers, fax machines, phones, etc.
- Participates in obtaining and communicating electronic information as pertinent to the nursing unit.
- Staff have access to non-controlled medications storage and supply areas and can transport non-controlled medications as necessary to meet the needs of the clinic or unit.
- Assists with transporting non-controlled medications to and from Pharmacy and within the unit as needed.
- Assists with transporting blood products to and from Blood Bank as needed.
Work is typically performed in an office environment. Accountable for satisfying all job specific obligations and complying with all organization policies and procedures. The specific statements in this profile are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements considered necessary to successfully perform the job.
Education High School Diploma or Equivalent (GED)- (Required)
Our Purpose & Values OUR PURPOSE & VALUES: Everything we do is about caring for our patients, our members, our students, our Geisinger family and our communities. KINDNESS: We strive to treat everyone as we would hope to be treated ourselves. EXCELLENCE: We treasure colleagues who humbly strive for excellence. LEARNING: We share our knowledge with the best and brightest to better prepare the caregivers for tomorrow. INNOVATION: We constantly seek new and better ways to care for our patients, our members, our community, and the nation. SAFETY: We provide a safe environment for our patients and members and the Geisinger family We offer healthcare benefits for full time and part time positions from day one, including vision, dental and domestic partners.* Perhaps just as important, from senior management on down, we encourage an atmosphere of collaboration, cooperation and collegiality. We are an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer Women and Minorities are Encouraged to Apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability or their protected veteran status.