NYU Grossman School of Medicine is one of the nation's top-ranked medical schools. For 175 years, NYU Grossman School of Medicine has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history and enrich the lives of countless people. An integral part of NYU Langone Health , the Grossman School of Medicine at its core is committed to improving the human condition through medical education, scientific research, and direct patient care. For more information, go to , and interact with us on LinkedIn , Glassdoor , Indeed , Facebook , Twitter and Instagram .
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Nurse Practitioner for the Administration for Children's Services Medical Consult Program.
In this role, the successful candidate will be responsible for the provision, coordination, and assurance of comprehensive nursing care using nursing process and pertinent standards of care, the diagnosis of illness and physical conditions, and performance of therapeutic, corrective, and prescriptive measures of the designated outpatient patient population within a collaborative practice agreement established with a specific physician on the staff of NYU Hospitals Center
- Plans and organizes care to meet individual patient needs and to ensure appropriate clinical resource utilization per protocols, pathways, and other means.
- Monitors and trends the cost effectiveness of the position, particularly as it relates to the efficiency and performance indicators established for the service.
- Assists in the preparation, implementation, and evaluation of research protocols when applicable.
- Works collaboratively with nursing and other disciplines in the development and implementation of clinical studies within the area of expertise.
- Uses evidence-based health care literature to advise and support appropriate practice changes within the designated service.
- Participates in the development and monitoring of patient outcomes per established practice protocols for purposes of quality and performance improvement.
- Serves as a clinical expert and resource for the education of peers and other health professionals.
- Maintains current expertise in area of practice.
- Promotes own professional growth and development in clinical and managerial role.
- Considers needs and behaviors of specific patient age and cultural groups in all patient care.
- Evaluates treatment and health care plans for effectiveness and modifies per clinical standards and practice protocols.
- Practices as a member of the allied health staff according to the rules and regulations of the Medical Staff and bylaws as outlined in the delineation of privileges.
- Prescribes medical equipment, devices, physical and occupational therapy, and home health services per practice protocol.
- Prescribes in-patient and discharge medications according to New York State law, including controlled substances with DEA authorization.
- Works collaboratively with the attending physician, consulting physician(s), and other disciplines to identify, develop, and implement an appropriate plan of care that maximizes individual patient/family preference and enhances quality, access, and cost-effective outcomes.
- Formulates the plan of care, along with the attending physician, patient and family, based on expected goals of care and length of stay.
- Orders customary laboratory, radiological and diagnostic studies per practice protocols, differentiates between normal/abnormal findings and follows protocols for abnormal findings, which may include referral to consulting physicians per customary pattern of the attending MD or with the collaborating physician.
- Performs complete health history, physical examination and psychosocial assessment of patients within the designated practice or clinical unit.
- Functions as a respectful member of the health care team.
- Participates in designated activities related to professional nursing standards and regulations of relevant outside agencies.
- Demonstrates knowledge of the organizations Service Standards and incorporates them into the performance of responsibilities.
- Facilitates the continuity of care across the continuum of services, e.g. home care, other facilities, appointments with MDs etc.
- Provides consultation about the therapeutic regimen to the nursing staff responsible for the patients care in the hospital setting.
- Works collaboratively with nursing leadership to ensure timely communications with the nursing staff.
- Works collaboratively with the attending physician to maintain timely and appropriate communication with family members, housestaff, other disciplines and ancillary services.
- Participates in the development and revision of interdisciplinary and nursing standards, patient and family education materials as relevant to area of practice and expertise.
- Works collaboratively with the interdisciplinary team including the attending physician to develop and implement the therapeutic plan of care for a group of patients and ensure communication with family members.
Additional Position Specific Responsibilities:
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Nurse Practitioner/medical consultant in Administration for Children's Services (ACS) offices.
In this role, the successful candidate will provide consultation and education to ACS Staff within assigned ACS offices. The NP will help ACS Staff understand the meical and developmental issues impacting both children and adults in their caseload and better identify potential safety issues and resources for unmet medical needs.
Conduct case-specific consultation on cases identified as having medical and/or developmental issues and document all consult
Identify potential medical safety issues in cases
Provide recommendations for follow-up and provide referral information when needed
Review and summarize medical notes and reports
Take part in case conferences/meetings in the ACS office or in healthcare settings
Help ACS staff navigate hospital systems and managed care systems, occasionally assist ACS with phone calls with providers
Provide education in one-on-one, small-group and large-group settings
Join ACS staff for a home visit, this happens very infrequently, as an opportunity to model for ACS staff
Work well with members of the ACS office, office leadership, consultants from other disciplines and members of the Medical Consultation team
Stay up-to-date on documentation and maintain monthly statistics
To qualify you must have
Licensure: Current registration as Professional Nurse in New York and Registration as Nurse Practitioner in New York
Education: Master's Degree in Nursing; Board Certification as a Family or Pediatric Nurse Practitioner; BLS
Required Licenses: Registered Nurse License-NYS, Nurse Practitioner-NYS
At least five years of clinical nursing practice in the care of the patient population served; ability to apply nursing process toward achievement of specific outcomes in an organized fashion, which addresses patient/family safety and satisfaction. Previous experience as a nurse practitioner is preferred. Evidence of excellent interpersonal skills, effective communication skills, creative problem solving and excellent critical thinking and leadership; previously demonstrated ability to facilitate group processes and work cohesively and collaboratively as member of the interdisciplinary team; Effective change agent. Physical stamina, manual dexterity, visual and aural acuity to perform responsibilities. Membership in professional specialty organizations desirable
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Grossman School of Medicine provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents.
NYU Grossman School of Medicine is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Grossman School of Medicine's EEO policies, please click here . Please click here to view the Federal "EEO is the law" poster or visit .htm for more information. To view the Pay Transparency Notice, please click here .