Provides management oversight and strategic direction of Federal Transit Administration's (FTA) Moving Ahead Progress (MAP-21) Safety Management System Program and its implementation and maintenance. Responsible for the development and implementation of a Safety Management System (SMS) to create a quality management approach to controlling risks, and providing an organizational framework to support a sound safety culture. Performs duties in a safe, efficient manner and in compliance with all applicable rules and safety procedures.
Responsibilities and Specific Duties
- Provides primary managerial direction and performs personnel administrative functions of direct report staff (e.g. training, supervising, work assignments, timesheets, performance evaluations, etc.) for maintaining necessary staffing, enhancing productivity of staff and ensuring necessary department outcomes are achieved.
- Develops agency SMS program oversight and strategic plans to effectively align government regulations and support key Federal Transit Administration (FTA) initiatives.
- Provides guidance and technical assistance on 49 CFR Part 659 and 49 CFR Part 674 regulations.
- Manages and administers the company-wide implementation of a Safety Management System (SMS) to include the core elements of Safety Management Policy, Safety Risk Management, Safety Assurance and Safety Promotion.
- Develops and defines processes for hazard management, internal safety and security audits, accident notification and investigation, and corrective action plans.
- Coordinates with State Safety Oversight Agency (TxDOT) and coordinates
- manages all audits, reporting requirements and Corrective Action Plans (CAPS).
- Advise of SMS software to assist all functions of SMS technology requirements.
- Maintains the Transit Agency Safety Plan and certifies that the plan meets FTA requirements.
- Coordinates with training departments to develop and implement Safety Training into their curriculum that supports a sound safety culture and SMS principles.
- Maintains SMS documentation and records as part of the Safety Management Policy.
- Develops and maintains an agency hazard reporting system as part of safety assurance.
- Provides oversight of the Safety Compliance and Analysis section for the department.
- Research and manages all applicable local, state and/or federal safety grant opportunities.
- Coordinates all external and internal safety audits.
- Provides excellent customer service to METRO internal and external customers.
- Promotes safety awareness and follows safety procedures to reduce or eliminate accidents.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
Bachelor's degree in Safety, Business Management or related field is required. Master's degree preferred.
Years & Experience Required
Minimum eight (8) years of experience in the administration, planning, compliance and/or monitoring of safety programs. A minimum of three (3) years of management experience with a strong background in developing and implementing safety or safety-related programs in transit, transportation, public safety or engineering environment.
Knowledge & Skills Required
Knowledgeable in FTA's Moving Ahead for Progress in the 21st Century (MAP-21) safety regulations and FTA/TxDOT State Safety Oversight Program. Certified Safety & Security Director with the World Safety Organization and/or Transit Safety and Security Program (TSSP) Certificate with the FTA's Transit Safety and Security Division required.
The Metropolitan Transit Authority of Harris County, Texas has a zero tolerance drug and alcohol policy for all employees. All internal and external applicants will be required to undergo drug testing before employment and will be subject to further drug and/or alcohol testing throughout their employment.
Further, employees who perform safety-sensitive functions will submit to drug and/or alcohol testing in accordance to the Department of Transportation (DOT) and the Federal Transit Administration (FTA) regulatory requirements.
We provide equal opportunity to all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, veteran status, genetic information or disability.