Manager, Lab Technician III & Sample Processing
San Diego, CA
Sanguine Biosciences is accelerating personalized medicine research by empowering patients with their healthcare data and making it as easy as possible for them to participate in the medical research process. We partner with patients and pharmaceutical companies to accelerate precision medicine R&D by securely and efficiently collecting and providing patient samples and relevant health data. We are helping thousands of researchers at 20 of the top 40 global pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies increase the speed and quality at which they are conducting their research. For the past two years, Sanguine received the prestigious designation as a "Great Places to Work" company. It is an exciting time; our biotech company is growing quickly and needs the best team members to join us.
About the Role:
This leadership position will be responsible for the processing and testing of various blood samples. Sample processing experience must include: PBMC, T, B, & NK cell isolations, cell counting, aliquot preparation, and proper storage. Initial samples will be from both leukopaks and clinically collected blood samples or its derivatives. This role will also require experience with LIM systems and commercial laboratory operations, including the internal communication of project details with Sanguine personnel as well as the ability to properly address client questions and concerns. This role will be responsible for the completion of all laboratory processes, including the management and directing of supplementary lab personnel.
Biorepository Maintenance and Sample Processing (40%)
- Perform processing of biospecimens including but not limited to the isolation of PBMCs and their cellular subsets, from sample arrival through processing and storage.
- Perform and oversee research grade testing on human biospecimens pertaining to infectious disease panels or HLA typing.
- Perform basic calibrations of instruments on process and utility equipment. Ensure that calibration paperwork, instrument files and work order documentation are completed with accurate information.
- Monitor freezers (temperature monitoring, issue logs, maintenance, freezer space & organization)
- Support and perform basic troubleshooting of processing and sample storage equipment.
- Order and keep track of supplies including cell culture media, cell culture and other lab consumables, as well as other critical reagents inventory and non-GMP chemical storage.
- Other job functions as assigned.
Commercial Laboratory Management and Client Troubleshooting (40%)
- Perform and oversee duties pertinent to a commercial laboratory, including, but not limited to: preparing samples for shipment, altering procedures based on client requests, ensuring timelines are met, answering specific client questions.
- Ensure that materials and reagents are being purchased in accordance with budget and capacity.
- Ensure and enforce safety compliance, regulations, and SOPs.
- Perform regular certifications of equipment to verify conformance to industry standards and procedures.
- Retrieve samples from storage and properly prepare them to be shipped to the client depending on project schedules.
- Maintain well documented laboratory records
- Perform other related duties as assigned
- Work directly with Sanguine personnel outside of the laboratory to communicate project details, troubleshoot issue, and provide feedback regarding lab operations
People Leadership (20%)
- Ability to lead and supervise a team of lab technicians
- Ensure optimal productivity of the laboratory team by monitoring proper staffing levels and quality of laboratory work
- Enable the performance management of the team via the tracking of key performance indicators
- Coordinate lab operations and timely deliveries to shipping/clients
- Interviewing, onboarding, training, and development of laboratory staff
- Prepare SOPs and Performance documentation for lab and staff
- Master's degree or Bachelor's degree with 2 years of experience in one of the following fields: chemical/biochemical engineering, biomedical engineering, cell/molecular biology, biochemistry, microbiology, or equivalent.
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment and take appropriate action with an entrepreneurial mindset.
- Experience with mammalian blood samples is highly preferred.
- Experience processing human leukopaks is highly preferred.
- Experience managing both a lab and its personnel is highly preferred.
- Ability to effectively communicate ideas through verbal and written form.
- Intermediate computer skills.
- Knowledge of process or utility equipment/system maintenance.
- Must be able to work in a BSL-2 Lab setting with biohazards /various chemicals.
- Must be able to wear appropriate PPEs.
- Must be available and flexible to work a variety of full-time shifts Monday through Friday between the hours of 8am to 7pm.
- Must be available to work on weekends if needed.
- Ability to lift 40 lbs.
Sanguine is an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.