GRAIL is a healthcare company whose mission is to detect cancer early, when it can be cured. GRAIL is focused on alleviating the global burden of cancer by developing pioneering technology to detect and identify multiple deadly cancer types early. The company is using the power of next-generation sequencing, population-scale clinical studies, and state-of-the-art computer science and data science to enhance the scientific understanding of cancer biology, and to develop its multi-cancer early detection blood test. GRAIL is headquartered in Menlo Park, CA with locations in Washington, D.C., North Carolina, and the United Kingdom. GRAIL, LLC is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Illumina, Inc. (NASDAQ:ILMN). For more information, please visit .
The Manager, Operations Engineering will lead a key operations team that oversees technical engineering support for a variety of process automation hardware, software applications, and laboratory equipment to support smooth lab operations. Working cross-functionally with Operations, R&D, and Software groups, you will drive robust equipment and automation operations with the leadership of a team of dedicated operations engineers/technicians. The successful candidate will be a scientist or engineer with a proven track record of owning complex systems as well as implementing continuous process improvements in a regulated operations setting. GRAIL's testing volumes are scaling fast and require a dynamic and diligent leader to help deliver our revolutionary test to as many people as possible. You will:
Your background and qualifications will include:
- Build and manage a team of engineers/technicians with the diverse scientific and technical skills required to support, solve, and improve complex automation systems in a regulated environment
- Establish operational objectives and work plans, delegate and empower team members to improve the system up time for 24x7 operations
- Lead area work responsibilities, effectively triage opportunities, direct work based on team abilities, and mentor and guide staff to support the area and operators' day to day following cGMP/GLP and Quality Management System (QMS) guidelines.
- Lead root cause investigations, drive for resolutions, and follow those up with corrective and preventative actions for area of responsibility
- Make time sensitive technical decisions.
- Oversee service contracts and OPEX spends for operations group, support CAPEX planning
- Participate, be a role model, and adhere to GRAIL's policies and guidelines.
- Recommend and implement changes to ensure ongoing high-quality performance of laboratory equipment as part of the continuous improvement process.
- Work closely with Quality and regulatory to implement and follow the required policies and procedures for system qualification, maintenance, and calibration
Physical Demands/Working Environment:
- 8+ years of related experience with a BS/BA or higher degree in Engineering, Physics, Chemistry or Life Sciences or equivalent work experience.
- 3+ years managerial experience in a similar work environment.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully lead, coach, build, lead, and mentor engineers/technicians.
- Excellent communication skills to work as a leader and provide internal customer support.
- Excellent time management skills to support a fast paced working environment.
- Excellent troubleshooting and root cause analysis skills in both hardware and software.
- Strong experience with writing and implementing test protocols and procedures.
- Experience performing within a computerized maintenance/calibration management system.
- Knowledge Safety Training, lock out tag out (LOTO), Hazardous material, and waste handling.Preferred:
- Strong hands-on experience in technical troubleshooting and maintenance in regards to liquid handling equipment.(e.g., Agilent, Hamilton, Labcyte, Illumina etc.)
- Experience with Laboratory Information Management Systems (LIMS), Manufacturing Management Systems(MES), scheduling software, Customer Relationship Management (CRM) software, Green Button Go (GBG)
- Knowledge of molecular biology to best support equipment activities in an next generation sequencing (NGS) workflow.
- Knowledge of IT networking and systems infrastructure.
- Strong industrial electrical and mechanical knowledge.
- Project management skills.
- Experience working with Illumina NGS technology platforms.
- Expected schedule is on-site Monday to Friday with potential for minor changes in hours as the team expands. This position requires on-call duty and may need to support weekends and holidays.
- Regularly required to stand, sit, walk, climb stairs/ladders, kneel, crouch, or wear safety gear.
- Must regularly lift and / or move up to 10 pounds.
- Frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Travel up to 10% of the time
***WE STRONGLY ENCOURAGE OUR VETERAN COMMUNITY TO APPLY***
GRAIL is an Equal Employment Office and Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status. We will reasonably accommodate all individuals with disabilities so that they can participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Following extensive monitoring, research, consideration of business implications, and advice from internal and external experts, GRAIL has made the decision to require all U.S. employees receive the COVID-19 vaccines as a condition of employment. "Full vaccination" is defined as two weeks after both doses of a two-dose vaccine or two weeks since a single-dose vaccine has been administered. Anyone unable to be vaccinated, either because of a sincerely held religious belief or a medical condition or disability that prevents them from being vaccinated, can request a reasonable accommodation.