SummaryExplore a new career with the BLM - where our people are our greatest natural resource.
These positions are located in Reno, NV. Information about Reno can be found at Reno/Sparks Chamber of Commerce.
We expect to fill two (2) vacancies at this time; however, additional positions may be filled from this announcement.
This position is offering a 25% recruitment and/or relocation incentive if eligible. (see additional information.)
Learn more about this agency
- Open & closing dates
11/04/2021 to 11/29/2021
This job will close when we have received 35 applications which may be sooner than the closing date. Learn more
$64,649 - $100,739 per year
- Pay scale & grade
GS 11 - 12
2 vacancies in the following location:
- Telework eligible
- Travel Required
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
- Relocation expenses reimbursed
Yes-You may qualify for reimbursement of relocation expenses in accordance with agency policy.
- Appointment type
- Work schedule
- Promotion potential
- Job family (Series)
1373 Land Surveying
- Supervisory status
- Security clearance
- Drug test
- Position sensitivity and risk
Non-sensitive (NS)/Low Risk
- Trust determination process
- Announcement number
- Control number
Help This job is open to
Clarification from the agency
- Career transition (CTAP, ICTAP, RPL)
Federal employees who meet the definition of a "surplus" or "displaced" employee.
- The public
U.S. Citizens, Nationals or those who owe allegiance to the U.S.
All U.S. Citizens - No previous Federal Service is required. CTAP and ICTAP candidates in the local commuting area.
- Serve as party chief in charge of one or more survey crews in planning and conducting surveys or resurveys of parcels of Federal interest lands.
- Plans and conducts surveys and resurveys involving problems of substantial variety and complexity. Prepares final returns for completed field projects.
- Replies in person or by phone to the public, private surveyors, state agencies and other Federal offices on technical inquiries concerning interpretation of past and present land surveyors in areas assigned.
- Meets expected deadlines for submission of field notes, final plats and status reports of work accomplished.
- Design data collection projects and collects accurate geodetic data, in order to verify accuracy and reliability of existing surveys and/or to provide more precise positions for the Geographic Data Coordinate Data Base (GCDB).
Help RequirementsConditions of Employment
- U.S. Citizenship is required.
- Be sure to read the How to Apply and Required Documents Sections.
- You cannot hold an active real estate license: nor can you have an interest or hold stocks in firms with interest in Federal Lands.
- Direct Deposit Required.
- Appointment will be subject to a favorably adjudicated background/suitability investigation/determination.
- Your resume must contain enough information to show that you meet the qualification requirements as defined in the announcement. In addition, your responses to the questions must adequately reflect in your resume.
- May require a one year probationary period.
- If selected for this position you will need to complete the Federal Information Systems Security Awareness (FISSA) training prior to start date.
In order to be rated as qualified for this position, we must be able to determine that you meet the qualification requirements - please be sure to include this information in your resume. No assumptions will be made about your experience.This position has a Positive Education Requirement:
Land surveying; or civil engineering with an option/emphasis that included at least 6 semester hours of surveying, 3 semester hours of land law, and 21 additional semester hours in any combination of the following: surveying, photogrammetry, geodetic surveying, geodesy, route surveying, remote sensing, cartography, survey astronomy, land information systems, computer-aided mapping, aerial photo interpretation, and survey analysis and adjustments. OR
Combination of education and experiencecourses equivalent to a major in land surveying or civil engineering as described above, plus appropriate experience or additional education. OR
Have a current registration as a land surveyor in a State, territory, or the District of Columbia obtained by written examination. Registration must have been obtained under conditions outlined in the National Council of Engineering Examiners (NCEE) Unified Model Law for Registration of Surveyors. (You must show evidence of registration based on successful completion of the written examinations.)For the GS-11
: Meet the basic requirement AND
I have one year of specialized experience equivalent to GS-9 in the Federal Service. Examples: plan and conduct land surveys, prepare written survey documents or notes, and coordinate with interested parties as a chief of parties or project manager. Manages complex and complicated cadastral survey or resurvey projects using a variety of survey equipment including total stations, data collectors, handheld calculators, and GPS receivers; OR
Meet the basic requirement AND
I have 3 years of progressively higher-level graduate education leading to a Ph. D. degree or equivalent doctoral degree, with major study in land surveying; or civil engineering with a surveying option/emphasis; OR
Meet the basic requirement AND
I have an equivalent combination of additional education and experience described above.For the GS-12
: Meet the basic requirement AND
I have one year of specialized experience equivalent to GS-11 in the Federal Service. Examples: coordinate with interested parties as chief of parties or project manager; manage complex and complicated cadastral survey or resurvey projects using a variety of survey equipment, including total stations, data collectors, handheld calculators, and GPS receivers; and prepare written reports describing unique problems encountered with recommendations for solutions for management to make proper decisions.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
You must meet all qualification requirements by the closing date of the announcement.Education
This position falls under the Land Surveying Series, 1373. There are Individual Occupational Requirements (IOR).
This position has a positive education requirement (see qualification section for education requirements). You MUST submit a copy of ALL your college transcripts or a list of ALL college courses that include hours and grades from an accredited U.S. college/university. Upon selection, official transcripts must be received prior to appointment. If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet qualification requirements, you must show that your education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university.
If using education to qualify, you must submit copies of all transcripts or a list of college courses that include hours and grades from an accredited U.S. college/university. See Required Documents section for more information.
All selections and tentative offers of selection are contingent upon submission and verification of 'official' transcripts.Additional information
DOI uses E-Verify to confirm employment eligibility of all newly hired employees. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit E-Verify
Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP)/lnteragency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP): These programs apply to employees who have been involuntarily separated from a Federal service position within the competitive service or Federal service employees whose positions have been deemed surplus or no longer needed. To receive selection priority..... click apply for full job details