Overview / Responsibilities
Wood Environment & Infrastructure currently has an opportunity available for a junior to intermediate level Industrial / Occupational Hygienist - Hazardous Materials Specialist in the Metro Vancouver, BC area to provide industrial hygiene and hazardous materials assessment and abatement / remediation services to our clients. The successful candidate will be an industrial / occupational hygienist with hazardous materials experience, or be a safety professional with hygiene and hazardous materials experience. If you are interested in a career in occupational health and safety, and in particular, have a strong interest in risk assessments and hazardous materials, like field work and travel, and thrive in a fast-paced environment, this opportunity is for you.
Reporting to the BC Occupational Hygiene and Safety Group Manager, your responsibilities will include but won't necessarily be limited to:
- Conducting occupational hygiene risk assessments and exposure assessments for biological, chemical and physical hazards in various sectors including but not limited to energy, manufacturing, commercial, and government.
- Reviewing and/or preparing industrial hygiene related programs (e.g. respiratory protection) and exposure control plans and procedures for clients.
- Conducting management level, as well as pre-renovation / demolition, hazardous materials surveys for various hazards such as asbestos, metals, PCBs, PAHs, dioxins and furans, PFAS, ozone-depleting substances and suspect microbial growth and preparing reports.
- Developing hazardous materials management plans, safe work procedures, remediation / abatement specifications, abatement cost estimates, and exposure control plans.
- Conducting hazardous materials condition assessments.
- Conducting hazardous material abatement/remediation inspections and air monitoring and preparing daily reports / project completion reports.
- Conducting assessments for IAQ and confined spaces and preparing reports, risk assessments and procedures.
- Preparing and delivering industrial hygiene, safety and/or hazardous materials training courses
- Write proposals and reports for clients.
Skills / Qualifications
- Bachelor's or Master's Degree in Industrial Hygiene, or post secondary diploma or degree in Health and Safety required.
- Certification or working towards certification as a CRSP (Canadian Registered Safety Professional), ROH (Registered Occupational Hygienist) or CIH (Certified Industrial Hygienist) required.
- Hazardous materials training (e.g. AHERA Building Inspector Course, Alberta Asbestos Worker Course, Hazardous Materials Technician Course, Lead Inspector and Risk Assessor Course, Mould Assessment and Remediation Course, etc.) an asset
- Two to seven years experience in Occupational Hygiene and/or Health and Safety field.
- Experience in the consulting industry an asset
- Experience working at industrial sites, including utilities an asset
- Personal vehicle and driver's license
- Strong computer skills (e.g., Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Enthusiasm and commitment to technical excellence
- Strong interpersonal, oral and written communication skill
- Ability to adapt and work in a team environment as well as independently
- Owns a vehicle that can be used for business travel when needed.
- Flexibility with respect to remote work and travel. Willing and able to work up to two weeks at a time out of town.
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people.
Diversity Statement (EEO)
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.