Histotechnologist Full Time Days
AdventHealth Daytona Beach
Location Address: 301 Memorial Medical Parkway Daytona Beach, FL 32117
Top Reasons to Work at AdventHealth
- Great benefits such as: Educational Reimbursement
- Career growth and advancement potential
- High quality of life with low cost of living
- Immediate Benefits
Full-Time / Days
You Will Be Responsible For:
- Perform routine and non-routine activities involved in the preparation of slides for microscopic evaluation by pathologist(s), according to policies and procedures.
- Ensure proper accessioning and labeling of all tissue samples.
- Process paperwork associated with accessioning and reporting.
- May perform gross tissue examination (high complexity testing) if meets personnel qualifications set forth by the 1988 CLIA CFR 493.1489 and the corporate Minimum Qualifications for Personnel Performing Gross Tissue Examinations SOP.
- Ensure proper tissue processing.
- Embed processed tissue in paraffin.
- Perform microtomy of embedded tissue.
- Prepare slides for routine Hematoxylin and Eosin staining.
- Perform cover slipping of stained slides either manually or automated.
- Prepare solutions and reagents for special stain procedures.
- Obtain and validate control tissue used in special stains.
- Perform all special stain procedures.
- May prepare solutions and reagents for IHC procedures.
- May obtain and validate control material used in IHC procedures.
- May perform IHC testing.
- Perform filing of finished blocks and slides.
- Perform routine maintenance and cleaning of equipment.
- Provide training and guidance to Histotechnicians/Histotechnologists, students and lab aides.
- Adhere to laboratory's quality control policies, and documents all quality control activities; has the ability to recognize outliers and correct them.
- Differentiate acceptable and unacceptable processing, embedding, cutting and staining of tissue specimens.
- May be required to develop, execute, or validate new procedures.
- Capable of identifying problems that may affect test performance or reporting of test results and resolve or immediately report to histology supervisor/manager, technical supervisor, or director.
- Capable of providing coverage in the absence of the histology supervisor/manager or lead Histotechnologist for a limited period of time.
- Ensure all corporate safety, quality control and quality assurance standards are met.
- Ensure compliance with all local, federal, CLIA and CAP regulations.
- Maintain a clean and well-organized work area.
- Other duties, as assigned by supervisor.
- Exhibits ICARE values and loving care in all interpersonal contacts. Establishes and maintains courteous, tactful and professional level of interpersonal skills necessary to deal effectively with customers and populations served, including:
o The public
o Medical staff
o External business associates
- Demonstrates effective oral and written communication skills; maintains required level of confidentiality; interacts effectively with employees at all levels.
- Conforms to all Adventist Health System and Florida Hospital Memorial Medical Center policies and procedures including but not limited to:
o Mission/Vision/Values and Philosophy
o Customer Service Pledge
o Corporate Compliance
o Rules of Conduct as outlined in the "Guidelines for Employees" handbook
o No Smoking
o Dress Code
- Establishes and maintains a history of regular attendance; makes appropriate use of PDO, and observes department call-in procedures for absence; establishes and maintains punctual work habits. Exhibits timely arrival and departure and dependable time habits including meal and other breaks.
- Attends/participates in mandatory facility-wide and department training/meetings as required including but not limited to: department Huddles, annual education, safety training, Town Halls, etc. Is able to demonstrate and apply knowledge of fire, safety, security, disaster procedure regulations and National Patient Safety Goals as presented in orientation, outlined in safety manual, and as pertains to each work area.
- Supports departmental and organizational Mission through:
o Embracing and demonstrating a commitment to Sacred Work
o Appropriate use of resources
o Providing assistance to team members
o Accepting work or schedule assignments
o Participating in process and performance improvement as required
- Required to respond to emergency situations (i.e., disasters, hurricanes, etc.) by reporting to department and staying until the crisis is over or position is covered by incoming personnel. This is a mandatory requirement. Refusal to respond may result in termination.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
- Demonstrates knowledge of and can perform IHC testing.
- Qualification in Immunohistochemistry (QIHC) obtained through ASCP is preferred.
- Computer proficiency required.
- The position also involves effective communication and interpersonal skills
What You Will Need:
- 2-5 years Histology experience required.
- AA or AS degree or equivalent training and experience
- BS degree or equivalent training and experience.
- Active Florida Licensed Histotechnologist
- ASCP Preferred
Under the immediate supervision of the Histology Supervisor, the Histotechnologist performs clinical testing in one or more of the following areas of the laboratory: Embedding, Microtomy, Special Staining, Immunohistochemistry and Cytology non-Gyn. A Histotechnologist obtains or receives specimens, performs a variety of standardized tests including advanced and specialized tests using techniques and equipment found in the histology laboratory, understands method principle, performs quality control and performs preventative maintenance.
This facility is an equal opportunity employer and complies with federal, state and local anti-discrimination laws, regulations and ordinances.