Oceaneering is a global provider of engineered services and products, primarily to the offshore energy industry. We develop products and services for use throughout the lifecycle of an offshore oilfield, from drilling to decommissioning. We operate the world's premier fleet of work class ROVs. Additionally, we are a leader in offshore oilfield maintenance services, umbilicals, subsea hardware, and tooling. We also use applied technology expertise to serve the defense, entertainment, material handling, aerospace, science, and renewable energy industries.
Our Marine Services Division has more than 30 years experience in providing full-service ship repair capabilities for the US Naval Vessels including submarines, surface ships and crafts and deep submergence systems. Operating from state-of-the-art facilities in Chesapeake, Virginia, we are certified in Submarine Safety (SUBSAFE) and Deep Submergence System Scope of Certification (DSS-DOC) repair activities, and specialize in the design, repair, maintenance, modification, and installation of hull, mechanical and electrical (HM&E) systems.
For more information please go to and click on Products & Services, then click Marine Services Division (MSD).
Working under limited supervision, the Engineer III applies a working knowledge of advanced engineering analysis techniques as well as engineering fundamentals to the division's mechanical and structural engineering and design activities under the direction of a Project Engineer or Project Manager. The Engineer III will be responsible for the analysis of systems for a variety of government agencies (i.e. NAVSEA, NASA, SOCOM) and commercial customers. The Engineer III is expected to interact with other company personnel including those in QA, Manufacturing, Purchasing, Shipping and Receiving, as necessary to provide engineering support to manufacturing, integration, and test activities.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Performs difficult engineering analysis tasks, with little to no supervision that may include a variety of complex features, conflicting design requirements, unusual materials requirements, and the need to coordinate the work of others.
- Performs classical and FEA analyses of SUBSEA, submarine, surface ship and space systems to ensure structural/mechanical integrity including but not limited to static, dynamic, fatigue, fracture and buckling.
- Excellent technical judgment, and appreciable independent evaluation, creativity, and latitude in making decisions are expected.
- Demonstrates ability to devise innovative solutions to complex problems.
- Develops objectives, schedules, and estimates for difficult assignments.
- Oversees smaller engineering projects.
- Reviews progress and evaluates results of work accomplished by self and others.
- Prepares reports and presents results to management and client.
- Develops/reviews engineering designs, drawings and calculation packages.
- Provides support to bid & proposal efforts including technical writing.
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering (Mechanical, Structural, Aerospace, Ocean or Nuclear) or Naval Architecture from accredited college or university.
- Minimum of five years practical experience in Engineering; work experience with the U.S. Department of Defense projects is desirable.
- Experience with commercial analysis software packages is preferred; proficiency using ANSYS Workbench Enterprise Suite or Solidworks Simulation is desired.
- Proficiency using CAD software such as AutoCAD, SolidWorks and MathCAD preferred.
- Computer skills using Microsoft Office products required.
- Strong, demonstrated technical writing skills required.
- Demonstrated knowledge and effective use of the principles, practices, and procedures of a particular field of specialization and understanding of related engineering fields.
- Understands collection, analysis, interpretation, and application of typical engineering project performance metrics.
- Demonstrated knowledge of military, and commercial, construction and material specifications applicable to Submarine or Deep Submergence System work is preferred.
- Demonstrated knowledge of United States Navy SUBAFE or DSS-SOC requirements is preferred.
- Submarine System design knowledge is desired.
- Candidate will have to perform in an ISO-9000 rated company in a rapidly changing and demanding atmosphere.
- Must be able to obtain a U.S. DOD Secret Security Clearance.
- Must be willing to travel up to 10%.
Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified candidates will receive consideration for all positions without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or other non-merit factors.