1381 Hwy 17 North Fort Meade Florida 33841
Welcome to Valmont, where a world of opportunity awaits. When you join our team, you become part of a passionate group dedicated to changing lives and conserving resources around the globe. We want problem solvers who roll up their sleeves to foster progress and innovation for all people. At Valmont, we provide infrastructure, irrigation, tubing and coatings to the world. We strengthen cities. We nourish croplands. We design, manufacture and coat. Our products and services make a difference. Join us, and BUILD YOUR WORLD.
A Brief Summary of This Position:
This position serves as the principal environment, health and safety (EHS) professional at our Valmont manufacturing site in Fort Meade, Florida. This position requires individual initiative on special projects to complete a wide variety of tasks that are part of Valmontâs comprehensive EHS initiatives. This includes leading the activities of the siteâs EHS related teams. The position will lead implementation of Valmontâs EHS Playbook for the site. The EHS Specialist must be able to align the siteâs EHS activities with Valmontâs overall enterprise wide EHS strategies. The incumbent is responsible for swiftly detecting sub-standard EHS performance using leading and lagging indicators and act in conjunction with appropriate site and regional leadership teams. It is critical that the EHS Specialist assists others in their growth and knowledge in Environment, Health and Safety practices. It is expected that the EHS Specialist interact with site production employees to identify any control hazards that can result in harm.
- Reports directly to then General/Plant Manager, with matrixed reporting to the Regional Safety Manager and has no direct or indirect reports
- Creates the annual, site-specific environmental, health and safety targets and objectives for the site to measurably reduce exposure to the to the siteâs most significant health and safety risks and environmental impacts
- Function as the site level expert in the companyâs Environment, Health and Safety (EHS) information management system to manage data related to EHS events such as injuries, workers compensation claims, near miss incidents and internal and external inspections, and environmental permits
- Leads the risk assessment process to recognize, evaluate, and control hazards throughout the site
- Manages implementation of the Valmontâs global EHS standards which includes, but is not limited to, Hazardous Energy Control/Lockout, Confined Space Entry and Waste Storage
- Leads the deployment of environment, health and safety teams (e.g., Safety Committee, Green Team, etc.) and facilitates their engagement in ownership of the activities required to maintain compliance, reduce the siteâs environment footprint and drive continuous improvement
- Leads the team-based incident investigation process to drive appropriate root cause and corrective actions
- Develops and maintains training processes to ensure that required environmental, health and safety training is defined, addresses required content and is tracked to completion
- Collects data for reporting and permit submittals for multi-media environmental regulatory requirements
- Serves as the siteâs initial point-of-contact with national and local environmental, health and safety regulatory agencies
- Successful completion of the Valmont EHS Specialist curriculum within three months of hire is expected
Other Important Details about the Role:
- Daily engagement with employees on the floor to foster a cooperative, engaged safety program
- Conduct all EHS training and EHS committee meetings
- Collects and enters data for of all safety contacts and hazard identifications
- Collects and enters data for all environmental regulatory requirements
- Manage waste storage area, including record keeping, tracking and disposal
Required Qualifications of Every Candidate (Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities):
- Preferred Bachelorâs or Associateâs degree with 3+ years of experience or 5+ years of relevant experience
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, and Microsoft Outlook
- The ability to work in a cooperative manner and communicate effectively in a positive manner with all levels of the organization
- The ability to read, interpret and develop safety policies, procedures, training materials and standard operating instructions and procedural manuals
- Must be a person of passion and integrity who has the drive to excel and deliver exceptional results
Highly Qualified Candidates Will Also Possess These Qualifications
- One year of experience in manufacturing
- Experience using Lean methodology in a manufacturing environment
- Experience utilizing and maintaining Environmental Health and Safety database programs
Working Environment and Physical Efforts:
The primary working conditions for this position is a manufacturing shop environment with exposure to dirt, grease, fumes, cold, heat, noise, dust. There will also be times when the EHS Specialist works in an office environment. Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) such as safety glasses and hard hats may be required in most manufacturing areas and it is the EHS Specialistâs responsibility to ensure that all people (employees, vendors, customers, visitors) are in conformance with all safety requirements and that all employees are enforcing the safety requirements consistently and without exception. The incumbent is regularly required to sit for extended periods of time, as well as talk and listen on the phone and in personal conversations or meetings. Environment is fast paced and demanding most of the time. The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms while working in the office with various files and forms and while working on the computer. The employee is occasionally required to move about the office. Incumbent must utilize proper ergonomic safeguards such as monitor height and positions, keyboard location and height and proper wrists rests. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 15 pounds in working with large files, binders, and computer equipment. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, and depth perception.
Valmont does not discriminate against any employee or applicant in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by law. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
If you have a disability and require any assistance in filling out the application for employment email .
- Valmont offers employees and their families a comprehensive Total Well-being benefit package to ensure their individual and familyâs overall wellness needs are met.
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- Paid time off
- Employer paid life insurance
- Employer paid short-term and long-term disability
- Retirement plans
- Dependent care
- Annual performance based bonus plan
- Employee assistance programs
- Voluntary programs like tobacco cessation, Type 2 diabetes reversal, mortgage services, home & auto insurance, health coaching and more.