As a Tunnel Construction Engineer on the $3.3BN Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel Expansion Project (HRBT) in Virginia, you will provide technical engineering information to the relevant project stakeholders to ensure construction work complies with all engineering standards, codes and contract specifications.
The Hampton Roads Connector Partners JV (HRCP) consisting of Flatiron, Dragados USA and VINCI been selected to construct the $3.3BN Design Build project -the largest civil construction contract ever awarded by the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT).
The project scope across a 9 mile section of the I-64 will include: a new 3.5-mile bridge-tunnel crossing that will accommodate a total of 8 lanes of capacity across the water, replacement of the existing marine approach bridges and the addition of a third lane on I-64 in each direction. The twin 45' diameter 1.5-mile tunnels will be bored by TBM, creating the second largest TBM tunnel opening for a TBM in North America. The project is expected to continue to the end of 2025.
- Collects, coordinates and analyzes shop drawings, design specifications, material requirements and project data through the duration of the project to ensure quality and contract specification compliance for tunnel works on the project.
- Assisting the senior tunnel engineer within the design coordination group, you will prepare sequence of work and work plans, compile comments for the constructability review of the design packages, ensuring coordination between the different design disciplines on the project.
- Assists in the definition of means and methods for tunnel and development of design drawings and provides technical input, directing members of the CAD team as required.
- Assists the estimating team with project schedules and provides technical input as needed.
- Coordinates subcontractor work methods, schedule and crews as needed.
- Provides technical input for project work plan and scheduling. Identifying risk elements of production, materials, equipment or process that could negatively impact the budget or schedule.
- Works with project team to plan field layout on the project site, ensuring appropriate utility and commercial lines are marked before production begins.
- Meets daily with project crews to review production schedule and confirm all materials, equipment and resources are readily available for production to continue on schedule and within budget.
- Evaluates daily production, schedule and budget projections to accurately track project performance. Documents daily activities in Company approved methods and technologies.
- Notifies team members and manager of any significant schedule changes and recommends solutions for management consideration.
- Remits accurate project quantity input and controls using assigned project cost coding to ensure project financials are accurately reported. Manages cost coding with project finance and accounting teams regarding employee time, materials, equipment and subcontractor needs.
- Reviews project specifications for quality assurance at regular intervals. Initiates and manages appropriate certificates, inspections and other documentation regarding construction production on the project site.
- Maintains knowledge of Company and Project values and strategic plan.
- Perform additional assignments per management's direction
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering or Construction Management.
- Minimum 3 years of construction engineering experience on heavy civil construction projects with some structures experience required.
- Previous experience working on tunnel structures and associated works is highly preferred.
- Knowledge of construction equipment & techniques, drawing & specifications, building materials and required standards applicable to the project.
- Previous experience in cost coding, cost savings, budget and other project related financial implications strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of construction scheduling processes and production time management preferred.
- Ability to assume responsibility, interface and communicate effectively with others.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks efficiently and effectively in a fast-paced environment.
- Skill in verbal and written communication needed.
- Proven self-starter and self-motivated to learn and grow knowledge.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor's legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)