SPANISH & PORTUGUESE (BL-SPAN-IUBLA)Department Information
This position is mainly within two departments of the College of Arts & Sciences, the largest academic unit at Indiana University, Bloomington. It is composed of 40+ departments, 50+ Centers, Programs, and Institutes, while also including the Eskenazi School of Art, Architecture and Design, the Hamilton Lugar School of Global and International Studies, and The Media School. Faculty in the College teach over 50 percent of the Indiana University (Bloomington) credit hours in 80+ buildings on the Bloomington campus. Department of French and Italian:
Learning French or Italian can open doors to the global community. Our internationally recognized department offers all levels of language instruction, courses that inspire curiosity, exciting research opportunities, and study abroad experiences to broaden your horizons. Department of Spanish and Portuguese:
Considered among the top Spanish and Portuguese programs in the country, our department offers small class sizes, dedicated faculty with expertise in diverse areas, interesting courses, opportunities for research, cultural and community engagement, and many study abroad options.
Learn more about IU FRIT here & SPAN here.
The College values diversity, equity, and inclusion as a core strength and essential element in the success of its educational mission. For full diversity statement, click here. Job Summary Department-Specific Responsibilities:
- Oversees sorting and routing of incoming mail, answers correspondence and prepares outgoing mail.
- Maintains newsletter for the Spanish department to include collecting information throughout the year and organizing and formatting correctly in coordination with committee standards.
- Formats and posts course descriptions for FRIT and SPAN. Collects information from faculty, sends to advisors and posts to Schedule of Classes for Fall, Spring, and Summer terms. For SPAN, coordinates with Scheduling Specialist for proofreading before posting.
- Plans and executes department events for SPAN, FRIT and GER including large receptions. This includes room reservations, catering arrangements, equipment rental/setup. Serves as liaison for guests, attendees, invited speakers and vendors. Assists with faculty lectures and brown bag series by scheduling rooms, equipment rental/usage and announcements/promotion. Maintains departments' online events calendars and post events to IU calendar.
- Processes IU-funded faculty and student travel for FRIT and SPAN. Initiates travel reservations, travel pre-approvals, reimbursements and any other required travel documents. Works closely with Travel Management to ensure compliance with changing travel guidelines, policies and procedures. Works with Fiscal Officer to confirm account balances and funding for all travel.
- Evaluates office production, revises procedures, or devises new forms to improve efficiency of workflow.
- Organizes office operations and procedures, such as creation of Word and Excel files, bookkeeping, flow of correspondence, filing, requisition of supplies, and other office services.
- Monitors the use of office supplies and equipment; reorders items as required.
- Ensures that office procedures and policies are being maintained and communicated.
- Compiles, copies, sorts, and files records of office activities.
- May perform other duties related to maintaining an internal website and/or working with social media.
- High school diploma or GED.
- 2 years of relevant experience.
Working Conditions / Demands
- Proficient communication skills.
- Effective interpersonal skills.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain confidential information.
- Demonstrates excellent judgment and decision making skills.
- Ability to simultaneously handle multiple priorities.
- Maintains a high degree of professionalism.
This role requires the ability to effectively communicate and to operate a computer and other standard office productivity equipment. The position involves sedentary work as well as periods of time moving around an office environment and the campus. The person in this role must be able to perform the essential functions with or without an accommodation.Work Location
IU Bloomington campus.
Bloomington, Indiana.Job Classification
Career Level: Intermediate
Job Function: General Administration
Job Family: Administrative Generalist
Click here to learn more about Indiana University's Job Framework.Posting Disclaimer
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, there may be differences in the working conditions as advertised in our standard job postings (e.g., the ability to travel from one campus to another, etc.). If you are invited for an interview, please discuss your questions or concerns regarding the working conditions at that time.
This posting is scheduled to close at 11:59 pm EST on the advertised Close Date. This posting may be closed at any time at the discretion of the University, but will remain open for a minimum of 5 business days. To guarantee full consideration, please submit your application within 5 business days of the Posted Date.
If you wish to include a cover letter, you may include it with your resume when uploading attachments.New employees will be provided with information regarding Indiana University's COVID-19 vaccine policy, which includes the opportunity to request an exemption. To learn more, view our COVID-19 vaccine information page.Equal Employment Opportunity
Indiana University is an equal employment and affirmative action employer and a provider of ADA services. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ethnicity, color, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, disability status or protected veteran status. Indiana University does not discriminate on the basis of sex in its educational programs and activities, including employment and admission, as required by Title IX. Questions or complaints regarding Title IX may be referred to the U.S. Department of Education Office for Civil Rights or the university Title IX Coordinator. See Indiana University's Notice of Non-Discrimination here which includes contact information.Campus Safety and Security
The Annual Security and Fire Safety Report, containing policy statements, crime and fire statistics for all Indiana University campuses, is available online. You may also request a physical copy by emailing IU Public Safety at or by visiting IUPD.Contact Us